The Institute was founded by Arun and Sunanda Gandhi at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991, four years after they moved to the United States after years of work in India on behalf of some of that country’s poorest people. Arun is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi. Arun grew up outside Durban, S. Africa at Phoenix Ashram (the first center for nonviolent living that MK Gandhi founded in 1903) and spent almost two years as a youth living with his grandparents in India.
The Institute moved to the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester in 2007 and to its current home on 929 Plymouth Avenue South in 2012.
- June 11, 2016 9:30 amTransforming Conflicts: Nonviolence 101
- July 15, 2016 10:00 amReversing Runaway Inequality
- July 16, 2016 9:30 amTransforming Conflicts: Nonviolence 101
- August 8, 2016 10:00 am2016 Summer Nonviolence Intensive
- October 2, 2016 2:00 pmOpen House