The Institute was founded by Arun and Sunanda Gandhi at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991, four years after they moved to the United States after years of work in India on behalf of some of that country’s poorest people. Arun is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi. Arun grew up outside Durban, S. Africa at Phoenix Ashram (the first center for nonviolent living that MK Gandhi founded in 1903) and spent almost two years as a youth living with his grandparents in India.
The Institute moved to the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester in 2007 and to its current home on 929 Plymouth Avenue South in 2012.
- March 28, 2015 1:00 pmThe Pachamama Alliance’s Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream Symposium
- March 31, 2015Kingian Nonviolence Workshop w/ Jonathan Globe Lewis
- April 16, 2015 6:30 pmWhat You Say Next Can Change Your World: A Series in Nonviolent Communication
- April 19, 2015 3:00 pmStrategic Action for Social Change
- April 23, 2015 6:30 pmWhat You Say Next Can Change Your World: A Series in Nonviolent Communication
- On Being Shaped & Nourished by the Gandhi Institute March 24, 2015
- Commitment and Patience: Keys to Embracing Nonviolence in Our Dark Hours March 9, 2015
- Remembering Marshall Rosenberg February 16, 2015