The Institute was founded by Arun and Sunanda Gandhi at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991, four years after they moved to the United States after years of work in India on behalf of some of that country’s poorest people. Arun is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi. Arun grew up outside Durban, S. Africa at Phoenix Ashram (the first center for nonviolent living that MK Gandhi founded in 1903) and spent almost two years as a youth living with his grandparents in India.
The Institute moved to the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester in 2007 and to its current home on 929 Plymouth Avenue South in 2012.
- May 4, 2016 12:30 pmThe Radical Work of Community Healing
- May 4, 2016 5:30 pmDismantling the School to Prison Pipeline
- May 21, 2016 9:30 amTransforming Conflicts: Nonviolence 101
- June 11, 2016 9:30 amTransforming Conflicts: Nonviolence 101
- July 16, 2016 9:30 amTransforming Conflicts: Nonviolence 101