The Institute was founded by Arun and Sunanda Gandhi at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991, four years after they moved to the United States after years of work in India on behalf of some of that country’s poorest people. Arun is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi. Arun grew up outside Durban, S. Africa at Phoenix Ashram (the first center for nonviolent living that MK Gandhi founded in 1903) and spent almost two years as a youth living with his grandparents in India.
The Institute moved to the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester in 2007 and to its current home on 929 Plymouth Avenue South in 2012.
- March 11, 2015 6:00 pmMiki Kashtan Potluck, Q&A
- March 18, 2015 7:00 pmFilm Screening and Discussion: The Band\'s Visit
- March 21, 2015 10:00 amAgents of Change Workshop
- March 25, 2015 7:00 pmFilm Screening and Discussion: A Force More Powerful
- March 28, 2015 1:00 pmThe Pachamama Alliance’s Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream Symposium
- Remembering Marshall Rosenberg February 16, 2015
- Constructive Creativity: The Black Arts Movement February 6, 2015
- How One Gandhi Staff Spent MLK Day: Fracking & Seneca Lake January 22, 2015