The Institute was founded by Arun and Sunanda Gandhi at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991, four years after they moved to the United States after years of work in India on behalf of some of that country’s poorest people. Arun is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi. Arun grew up outside Durban, S. Africa at Phoenix Ashram (the first center for nonviolent living that MK Gandhi founded in 1903) and spent almost two years as a youth living with his grandparents in India.
The Institute moved to the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester in 2007 and to its current home on 929 Plymouth Avenue South in 2012.
- June 1, 2015 6:00 pmRace Dialogue
- June 4, 2015 4:00 pmRace Dialogue
- June 29, 2015 6:00 pmRace Dialogue
- June 30, 2015 10:00 am2015 Gandhi Institute Nonviolence Intensive
- July 1, 2015 10:00 am2015 Gandhi Institute Nonviolence Intensive
- Tax Day Reflections April 15, 2015
- Tools for Change: Sharing Nonviolence with Students in Rochester April 3, 2015
- On Being Shaped & Nourished by the Gandhi Institute March 24, 2015