Our History

The Institute was founded by Arun and Sunanda Gandhi at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991, four years after they moved to the United States after years of work in India on behalf of some of that country’s poorest people.  Arun is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi.   Arun grew up outside Durban, S. Africa at Phoenix Ashram (the first center for nonviolent living that MK Gandhi founded in 1903) and spent almost two years as a youth living with his grandparents in India.

The Institute moved to the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester in 2007 and to its current home on 929 Plymouth Avenue South in 2012.

Events

  • April 25, 2014Peter Jemison: Environmentalism in the Tradition of the Seneca
  • April 26, 2014 9:00 amFacilitator Skill Share Day: with a focus on addressing racism
  • April 28, 2014 5:30 pmNonviolent Communication Practice Group
  • April 29, 2014 6:00 pmConversation on Race
  • May 12, 2014 5:30 pmNonviolent Communication Practice Group
AEC v1.0.4