The Institute was founded by Arun and Sunanda Gandhi at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991, four years after they moved to the United States after years of work in India on behalf of some of that country’s poorest people. Arun is the fifth grandson of Mohandas Gandhi. Arun grew up outside Durban, S. Africa at Phoenix Ashram (the first center for nonviolent living that MK Gandhi founded in 1903) and spent almost two years as a youth living with his grandparents in India.
The Institute moved to the Interfaith Chapel at the University of Rochester in 2007 and to its current home on 929 Plymouth Avenue South in 2012.
- October 4, 2015 1:00 pmCelebrate Gandhi\'s Birthday at the Gandhi Institute!
- October 6, 2015 7:00 pmGrief & Empowerment Circle + Introduction***
- October 8, 2015Work Party
- October 15, 2015 6:00 pmConversations on Race with Poverty
- October 20, 2015 5:00 pmConversations on Race with Poverty